Saturday, October 20, 2012

The CW's new Beauty and the Beast, my thoughts...

Last night I wandered over to comcast to log into my email account just to check the spam folder.  I had a few emails out but had gotten far less responses than I had expected.  I didn't know if anything got trapped in the spam folder or not.  So I chekced my spam folder; while on comcast I glanced at their featured headlines.  The name Beauty and the Beast caught my eye.  I looked at it again to see what it was, and found it to be a new show staring Kristin Kreuk.  I clicked through the link and spent the next hour watching the show.

I'm sure people won't be happy to hear this but I find Kristin Kreuk a mediocre actress at best.  I don't buy her as a "tough as nails" cop.  Her fight scene on the subway platform was barely believable.  Not to mention her decision to meet on a subway platform to exchange and talk about evidence is beyond stupid!  Kristin Kreuk comes across as someone that's more of window dressing for the what looks to be the real star of the show, the Beast, Jay Ryan.  Before I got any further, I need to point something out (because I can hear the rabid fans yelling "why are you watching it then?"), I tuned it to see if it was a remake of the late '80s tv show staring the far more talented Linda Hamilton and Ron Pearlman. 

This update is a poor man's comic book for the small screen.  The "beast" is a result of a military experiment to create some sort of super soldier.  Where have I seen that before?  Oh yeah, Captain America, and last NCIS last season, the port to port killer storyline.  I'm sure there are others that have done that but those are the only two that come to mind right now. 

The pilot had so many plot stupidities that left me not just scratching my head but wondering what the writers were smoking when they thought them up.  Why in the world would the two women stand there in an empty parking lot letting two random strangers gun them down?  Then for Cat to make the same stupid move however many years later when she's supposedly this "tough as nails" NY detective.  Kristin Kreuk wouldn't last two seconds on Chicago's south side, much less on the streets of NY as a cop.  She's just not the cop type.  Mariska Hagrity is far better at playing a tough as nails cop, than Kristin Kreuk will ever be.  It's crap like this (CW as a whole) that make me glad there are actual good shows on tv, like NCIS, NCIS LA, Burn Notice, White Collar, Psych, Hawaii Five-0, Covert Affairs, and the old shows that I still love and watch like the A-Team. 

No comments: