Sunday, November 10, 2013

Baking Experiment, Well Sort Of

Last week I was watching tv, it was a night I had time while I was waiting for a show or movie to start.  So I looked on on demand, for something to watch.  I mostly watch cooking shows and home improvement shows (when I'm not watching my regular shows that is).  So I was happy to find the Deen Brother's Thanksgiving special on Cooking Channel.  My mom and I enjoyed the show but one thing they made grabbed us, the sweet potato souffle.  Not only was it super easy to make but it sounded really good.  So we decided to make it.  In talking to my sister another day, we mentioned that we're going to make it, as a test this weekend and possibly make it for Thanksgiving. She said she made it before but it's not as sweet as the ones I make.

With that in mind, I decided to give the recipe a try.  I made a mental note of the ingredients but of course forgot something.  I happened to get the Paula Deen's Aunt Peggy's sweet potato souffle recipe in her newsletter last week.  I pinned both recipes when I first saw them and pulled them both up yesterday when I was getting ready to make the souffle.  I found there were slight differences between the two recipes, and I decided to split the difference between the two and give it a try.  Next time I make this, I'm going to add a 1/2 cup brown sugar in the souffle and maybe cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg.



Sweet Potato Souffle

2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, baked and still warm
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup milk
1/4 light brown sugar
3 large eggs
pinch of salt

 TOPPING:
 3/4 cup light brown sugar
 1/2 cup chopped pecans
 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
sprinkling of cinnamon and allspice on top

Directions Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Peel the sweet potatoes and add the flesh to a bowl. Beat in the butter using a hand mixer or a stand mixer with the whisk attachment until well combined. Beat in the milk, brown sugar and eggs, adding one at a time. Taste and add salt as necessary. For the topping: Mix together the brown sugar, pecans, flour and  butter  in a separate bowl until it looks crumbly. Add the mixture to a deep-dish pie plate and bake until puffed and golden, 30 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving (the souffle will fall slightly).

No comments: